Star Wars: The Force Awakens bridges the gap between the beloved core characters of the original trilogy and the new, much younger cast that will be carrying the Star Wars mantle for the foreseeable future. Harrison Ford brings his A game as Han Solo, and what little we see of Carrie Fisher’s Leia (and even littler of Mark Hamill) is fitting and served up well. Add in a some C-3PO, R2-D2, and even a little Admiral Akbar, and we have ourselves a fresh backed nostalgia cake ready to enjoy. So which beloved characters, still alive at the end of Jedi, were not seen or referenced that are we most curious about?
5. Obi Wan Kenobi/Yoda – These two long time Star Wars staples appear in the final scene of ROTJ, together, as force ghosts, seemingly only visible to Luke. Given what little we see of young Skywalker in The Force Awakens, it makes sense that we wouldn’t see these two appear, but will they be back in Episode VIII?
4. Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader – In the case of the main protagonist from Episodes I-VI, he two made an appearance at the end of Jedi, as a force ghost, and only to Luke. This is significant however because we see Kylo Ren speaking to his ‘dead’ grandfather, however only to the melted and twisted remains of his helmet. This leaves lots of options to see Anakin/Vader again, either continuing that conversation and aiding Ren on his journey to the dark side, or possibly speaking up as an agent for the light.
3. Mon Mothma – She famously reminded us all that how grave the stakes were before the final battle, and that many bothans died to secure the plans to the second Death Star. She was a high-ranking woman in the Alliance, and didn’t appear much older than Leia. Sure, she had some EU stories, but those are now the stuff of legend, so what is the in canon fate of Mon Mothma.
2. Wedge Antillies – Wedge, much like Boba Fett, found much more character development and fan following in the novels no longer canon than in the films themselves. However, he is still the only Rebel pilot to survive all both Death Star attacks, but conspicuously was not available for the third Death Star… er, I mean Star Killer Base attack. He was the best pilot before Poe Dameron, where is he now? (Could Lor San Tekka be Wedge? If so, the hand off between him and Poe at the beginning would have an interested added layer to it)
- Lando Calrissian – He’s not smuggling with Han, not commanding forces with Leia, and probably not rock climbing with Luke, so what happened to the scoundrel turned General who lead the Rebel forces into battle thirty years earlier?
What other character, main or otherwise, would you like to see appear in later installments of the Star Wars movies? IG-88? Dash Rendar? Wicket?